Friday, November 13, 2009

Chewy Baked Oatmeal

So, I've been obsessing a bit about Baked Oatmeal lately - 4 pans in one week and I am finally happy with the recipe. This was popular at the school I used to work at but I never really found a recipe I was 100% happy with. After some trial and error, I finally tweaked the recipe to what I think is the best baked oatmeal ever! My hubby and kids love it - they haven't complained yet and that is all we have been eating for breakfast for a week! I have also tested it among some friends and family. We prefer lots of tasty chunks but feel free to omit anything your family is not fond of. Let me know what you think!

Baked Oatmeal
Makes 6 servings
4 1/2 c. quick cooking oats
1 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 c. brown sugar + 1 tbsp to sprinkle on top
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. sweetened coconut
1/2 c. chopped nuts (we prefer pecans)
1/3 c. mini chocolate chips
1/2 c. butter (1 stick melted)
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 13 glass pan. In a large bowl, mix oatmeal, baking powder, brown sugar, spices, raisins, coconut, nuts and chocolate chips. Mix butter, eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl. Combine until just moistened. Spread into greased pan and sprinkle brown sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. Bake for 35 minutes until edges are just starting to brown.
Serve immediately or later.

This is a chewier version of baked oatmeal. It is a cross between a baked oatmeal and granola. My family eats it both ways - dry - kind of like a granola snack and warm with milk. I would love to hear how your family likes it. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. You can also add 1/4 c. of ground Flax seed for an extra nutritional boost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, that post says 4:13 AM - is that correct?? Any way- the baked oatmeal sounds great, especially this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll make it for you the next time you visit! My family is in love with it!

    ReplyDelete