Friday, November 6, 2009

Welcome to I Bet They'll Eat It!

As I am settling in to my new role as only a homemaker and homeschooling mom, I realized that the Lord was leading me to do more. For seven years, I worked as a primary care giver to 12 students full time plus our own children. As I worked with more than 55 girls, I became passionate about the pursuit of educating children on the basics of nutrition and healthy eating as well as breaking down the "I don't like that." walls that children often put up. I saw the challenge of feeding 15 children up to three meals a day as a way to test the limits of standard kid dishes as well as introduce them to never before experienced flavors. It is through this amazing experience that I built a substantial knowlege base as well as a passion to share this information. Hence, the I Bet They'll Eat It Blog.

My goal with all of my recipes is to present food that kids will actually eat. They are not always low fat or whole grain. I do strive for that but not all recipes can fit into those categories. I am passionate about fruits and vegetables - as a professional primary care giver we made a rule that every meal had a fruit and every lunch and dinner had a vegetable. That is also the rule at my house now. Also, my theory is if you can get a child to at least try it in something else, they will most likely eat it again. Here is another secret - I put vegetables in almost everything! My recipes are proof that if it tastes good enough, the kids will not fuss about a few extra veggies. Try it, you may be surprised!

Here is my vision for this site - biweekly I will post a recipe as well as a list of possible variations. I will also include tips and best practices as well as respond to any questions you may have. Eventually, based on your feedback, I may one day write a book. Please feel free to email me questions and/ or list any food that you have been having trouble getting your child to eat. I hope that you will enjoy the bi-weekly posts, try out the recipes, offer me feedback as well as questions and most of all, pass it on to your family and friends so that we can all invest in the health and well being of our kids. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck Heather--Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I really struggle in this area and I can't wait for the bi-weekly posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather- can you get my 1 year old to eat at all?? I have a one year old boy that is the pickiest eater I have ever seen at this age. he will not eat any red sauce, meats (other than chicken nuggets-I am embarrassed that I have given it to him but desparate times call for desparate measures!) veggies, soups, etc. he likes fruit (thank God) and grilled cheese. He likes breaded ravioli without the sauce and any bread. I know I need to try foods like 10 times but my budget is a little tight to be constantly throwing food away. any help would be appreciated!
    Your biggest fan,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool! great thanks!!

    ReplyDelete